Tuesday, March 10, 2009

One more day teaching

Well, we've only got one more day in the school, and there is still much to be done. Dave has been working hard on getting a career plan and a resume together for the older guys so they can apply to college and find work here within the next year. It has taken much longer than anticipated to organize these because there has been very little practical training on computer skills. There was no syllabus for this class, so no one knows what they should be learning or if they learned it. I'm not a huge fan of structure, but I know that 18-year-old guys need some direction when it comes to learning how to use Word and Excel.

The beauty of it is how eager they are to succeed and learn while we are there. They've made good strides in typing, and hopefully they will be able to continue practicing with the software we brought. They just need a teacher to push them further. And the English classes go by so quickly because there is much to cover. I want them to be able to make the right sounds and distinguish between what they normally say and what sounds correct to a native English speaker. We also worked on conjugating verbs in the more advanced class.

On the non-work side of things, I was able to meet up with a couple from my home town last night and hear about their work here in Kabul. It was very refreshing to here about my old friends from Collierville and connect so easily to a great family. And they are doing some powerful work here, so I was proud of them for that.

We are continuing to become closer friends with the teachers and interpreters we work with. They are a fun group of guys to hang out with and learn from. Even though tomorrow is our last day of teaching, I'm hoping that we can spend some time with them on Thursday, the day we set aside to spend around town and seeing some cool things and places. Today, we took lots of pictures, so we can get those circulated once we get home. Don't be surprised if you see an Afghan guy wearing an Alabama hat by the way. Roll Tide!!

Well, it's time for us to get some sleep and be ready for a busy day. I hope everyone is having a great week so far. Can't wait to see you all again.

Khoda Hafez!